Friday, May 2, 2008

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Jeremy posted this on his site the other day, and I can't stop watching it. Robert at Flight 404 created this lovely video to submit to the Radiohead video contest. He explains that "its got some mad crazy super duper beat detection going on. I reused the application I wrote to make the Goldfrapp piece but went a few steps further. I manually input each bass beat, snare, highhat, and arpeggio note, not to mention all the vocals and syllable breaks. Crazy! It took about 6 hours but I think it was the right way to do it. I would have wasted much more time than that had I chosen to do the beat detection algorithmically. But man, scrubbing through that track, over and over, marking every note… it was a carpal pain...."

It reminds me of the circular nature of the world - shooting star, fertilized egg, other various cells, alka seltzer(!) ? Weird Fishes is also one of my favorite songs off of In Rainbows, and I quite like the combination of it + this visual.

2 comments:

Jeremy Roush said...

I've been stuck watching it over and over too. What's fucking AMAZING is that it's all programming... he TYPED the animation into being; very impressive.

Do you have a link to that video of them playing this song live in a basement? That post was evaporated when I had server probs.

Jeremy Roush said...

If you haven't already downloaded the 200MB QuickTime version, he offers it on his blog here:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/flight404/radiohead_51.mov

Significantly higher quality.